Winding down for the holidays often signals a time of reflection, to take stock of the year, all the ups-and-downs and learnings that 2021 had to offer.
For many, 2021 was the bounce-back year we were all hoping for. New trends emerged, new tech disruptors launched … it’s safe to say a lot happened!
As we look back on 2021, here are 22 facts about Martyn Bassett Associates and the recruitment industry that we can take with us into 2022:
- We celebrated 20 years in business.
- We were invited to participate in 5 Product Management focused webinar events, including this one hosted by ProductAMA.
- Our most-read article was, The Top Senior Product Manager Interview Questions Leaders Ask.
- Our most loved content series is our Salary Insights where we showcase real salaries of past searches.
- Our team grew from 10 to 15 employees.
- Half of our team was born outside of Canada, including Martyn.
- One of our recruiters is an expert in difficult to recruit for roles across AI, ML, and Data Science.
- Our team's go-to lunch spot in Toronto is QueenMotherCafe; if you go, try the Ping Gai!
- Our recruiters have conducted searches in 7 countries around the world.
- Our Canadian clients have spanned the length of Canada from Victoria BC to Charlottetown PEI.
- We placed 3 VP Engineers in 2021, each of whom took over for a Co-Founder.
- One of our favourite leadership roles to recruit for is the VP Customer Success role!
Our Product Practice:
- Product Management has now become our largest practice stream.
- The average number of business days it takes us to complete a VP Product search is 33.
- We placed 17 Product Leaders in 2021.
- As well as completed 34 Product, Product Design & Product Marketing focused searches.
- 25% of the clients who engaged us for a critical hire, spent an average of 4.5 months trying to fill the job themselves, without success.
- 85% of our clients were looking for or open to remote, or location agonist, candidates.
- New York Times reported, 3.5 million open positions and 0% unemployment rate in the cybersecurity sector in 2021. This year we placed two cybersecurity executives.
- The biggest compensation package we saw this year was a FAANG Product Executive at 1.3 Million USD.
- Our early-stage, pre-series A, clients were mostly focused on building their marketing teams.
- The CMO role is the second most common C-suite role we are engaged to recruit. Because of this, we have one of the most comprehensive networks of tech industry CMOs in North America.