We were recently engaged by a client to conduct a search for a Senior Product Manager. Our client is a privately held, global technology company whose business is high volume in-app payment processing.
The ideal candidate needed to have experience working as a Technical Product Manager in payment technology. Given the specificity of industry experience, our client was willing to consider making a remote international candidate hire providing the person was a payments subject matter expert. We presented a range of candidates to our client:
The Super Start-Up-er: $110k base + bonus
- Eight years of experience with 2 years of Product Management experience.
- Our client specifically asked us to recruit from their employer due to the relevancy of their products.
- This candidate, while in a product role, was working in a model closer to custom integrations.
- Engineering Degree
The Business Boss: $120K base + bonus
- Five years of employment experience of which four were in payment tech.
- Experience managing complex partnerships and integrations into core payment providers.
- Experience launching a net new payment product for Canadian merchants.
- Business Degree and Certification in Pragmatic Marketing.
The Enterprise Enthusiast - $100K base + bonus
- Ten years of employment experience. Seven years in product management and 2 years in the payment feature of a larger solution.
- Experience working for a high profile B2B2C platform vendor releasing world-class products.
- Marketing Diploma
The Payment Pro: $120K base + 8% bonus
- Ten years of employment experience; all of which have been the payment tech industry.
- Experience launching a net-new payment consumer experience for a high profile D2C US brand.
- Director level experience, leading teams of 12+ people.
- Engineering degree
The Business Banker: $130k base + base
- Fifteen years of employment experience with 5 years of payment product management experience.
- Significant banking vertical experience, driving the consumer experience of payment processing products.
- Championed the launch of a mobile wallet product.
- Technology Degree and multiple certificates/diplomas in business and technology.
The Hire: $120 Base + 25K bonus
- Eight years of employment experience with 4 years of payments technology experience.
- Experience building business cases and product roadmaps to launch net-new product initiatives that impacted a large number of customers and their experiences with payment products.
- Has global business experience.
- Computer Science and Business Admin Degrees. Also, certified in multiple Product Management functions.
To attract and land this candidate, our client offered this stellar candidate a $135K base + $18K bonus.
As you can see, compensation for these candidates varies significantly based on the length and scope of experience, as well as their ability to thrive in similar environments.
* * * * *
For organizations and job seekers alike, it can be challenging to understand what a particular position should pay. Often, it’s a calculation between salary surveys that lack all context, what a person has earned in the past, and ad hoc conversations with others in the field.
We’re sharing market insights into current compensation packages for key roles in the tech industry. Our recruiters conduct targeted searches on behalf of our clients, seeking out candidates who fit the requirements of the role and diligently qualifying them to present only the very best talent. These posts are meant to highlight the contextual elements that makeup compensation, and to help our clients and candidates better understand the current market forces that affect earning potential.
Is your organization hiring key product talent that will drive your growth? Book a consultation with our friendly and knowledgeable team today—we live and breathe the tech talent ecosystem every day, and can help you understand the market for the talent you need.