We were recently engaged by a client to conduct a search for a VP/GM of their Managed Services line of business. Our client is a Canadian based tech company whose suite of solutions are sold to large enterprise customers across financial institutions, telco, airlines, public sector, and retail.
Their ideal candidate needed to have experience growing revenue as well as managing the operational efficiency of a complex global enterprise. The role also required a person who had experience managing large distributed teams.
We presented a range of candidates to our client:
The Delivery Delight: 185K base + 210K OTE
- 25 years of experience split between software vendors, managed service providers and the on-client side at a large enterprise
- Experience managing teams of 30 plus people
- Responsible for a $40M+ managed services business
- Ensured delivery of service to global clients including a 24x7x365 service desk
The Talented Telco Titan: 175K base + 15% bonus
- 23 years of experience at telecommunications and infrastructure vendors
- Experience managing 10 direct reports with teams of 100 plus people
- Responsible for leading a $100M+ managed services business
- Had stronger sales and revenue management experience rather than operational experience
- MBA graduate
The ScaleUp SuperStar: $208K base + $250K OTE
- 24 years of experience across both the Public Sector and Big 5 Consultancies.
- Responsible for scaling a managed services business from 3 to almost 50 customers
- Extensive experience working with large enterprises CEOs to engage in sales cycles and thought leadership
The Operational Operative: 165K base + 15% bonus
- 15 years of employment experience with 6 years of management experience
- Experience managing teams as large as 30 people
- Hands-on operational experience of 3 managed services locations providing 24x7x365 support
- Was the least experienced in developing business and growing revenue
- Engineering Degree and MBA
The Hire: $235K base + $20K variable
- 11 years of employment experience and was employed at one of the companies we were specifically asked to recruit talent from
- Experience managing 12 direct reports
- International business experience and worked with business leaders and CEOs as a subject matter expert in the area of managed services
- MBA graduate
To attract and land this candidate, our client offered a $275K base plus a 15K quarterly bonus.
As you can see, compensation for these candidates varies significantly based on the length and scope of experience, as well as their ability to thrive in similar environments.
* * * * *
For organizations and job seekers alike, it can be challenging to understand what a particular position should pay. Often, it’s a calculation between salary surveys that lack all context, what a person has earned in the past, and ad hoc conversations with others in the field.
We’re sharing market insights into current compensation packages for key roles in the tech industry. Our recruiters conduct targeted searches on behalf of our clients, seeking out candidates who fit the requirements of the role and diligently qualifying them to present only the very best talent. These posts are meant to highlight the contextual elements that makeup compensation, and to help our clients and candidates better understand the current market forces that affect earning potential.
Is your organization hiring key sales talent that will drive your growth? Book a consultation with our friendly and knowledgeable team today—we live and breathe the tech talent ecosystem every day, and can help you understand the market for the talent you need.