We were recently engaged by a client to conduct a search for a Senior level Product Manager. Our client is a Toronto-based B2B SaaS vendor that sells their platform to large enterprise customers across multiple industries. They are a Series B funded start-up, currently in the process of scaling.
Our client was looking for a Senior Product Manager. The ideal candidate would have extensive experience with a product that relied on a number of complex integrations into other systems. They were looking for someone with experience running Product from ideation through to implementation—comfortable in a client facing role, and could identify solutions, build a business case, and create the Product from prototype through to launch. The ideal candidate also needed to be extremely comfortable in a data-driven environment. Bonus points would be given to candidates who had native mobile app experience, and/or experience working on an analytics product.
We presented a range of candidates to our client:
The Engaging Engineer: Base salary of $110K.
- 5 years of experience as a Product Manager, most recently working on a platform product for a large global company.
- Experience working in both B2B and B2C environments, releasing net new applications—from ideation to release.
- Holds a degree in Engineering, as well as several Product Management Certifications
The Analytics Integrator: Base salary of $95K.
- Working as a Product Manager of a SaaS analytics platform that relies on complex integrations.
- Experience working in a client facing role, and rapidly given progressive responsibility for owning the user experience.
- Holds a degree in Engineering.
The Successful SaaSer: Base salary of $115K.
- Working as a Product Manager for a B2B SaaS platform sold to large enterprise.
- 10+ years of Product experience, with a background in analytics software.
- Holds a degree in Design, as well as several Product Management Certifications.
The Hire: Base salary of $125K.
- 10+ years of progressive Product Management experience, working on large and complex enterprise grade platforms.
- Has been responsible for launching new Product experiences, overseeing them from ideation through to release, including an analytics platform.
- Extensive experience with complex integrations, and working in a client-facing role.
- Holds an MBA and several Product Management certifications.
To attract the candidate they hired, our client offered a base salary of $140K.
As you can see, compensation for these candidates varies significantly based on the length and scope of experience, as well as their ability to thrive in similar environments.
* * * * *
For organizations and job seekers alike, it can be challenging to understand what a particular position should pay. Often, it’s a calculation between salary surveys that lack all context, what a person has earned in the past, and ad hoc conversations with others in the field.
We’re sharing market insights into current compensation packages for key roles in the tech industry. Our recruiters conduct targeted searches on behalf of our clients, seeking out candidates who fit the requirements of the role, and diligently qualifying them to present only the very best talent. These posts are meant to highlight the contextual elements that make up compensation, and to help our clients and candidates better understand the current market forces that affect earning potential.