We were recently engaged by a client for a search for a Chief Revenue Officer. Our client is a rapidly scaling, well-funded startup in the B2B retail space.
Our client was looking for a CRO who could lead the organization through exponential growth. The ideal candidate had a track record of scaling high-growth organizations rapidly. They were looking for a “high-bandwidth” leader—someone ready to jump in and take a hands on approach to the day-to-day tactics, while maintaining a strong strategic overview of the long term growth of the company.
We presented a range of candidates to our client:
The Enterprise Experienced Leader: Base salary of $240K, $450 on-target earnings (OTE).
- Currently working for an enterprise organization, running 4 national divisions, across solutions delivery, technical, and sales functions.
- Previous startup experience, which included turning a struggling startup around.
- Experienced as a sales leader in smaller companies, and in operational roles in larger companies.
The Startup Superstar: Base salary of $200K USD, $480 OTE.
- Working as the CRO of a startup, managing 40 direct reports.
- Successfully grew the organization from $1MM to $8MM, with projections to double revenue again within the next year.
- Pure sales leader with experience running all customer-facing functions.
The Adaptable Executive : Base Salary of $250K USD, $500K OTE.
- Well versed sales leader with a wide range of experience.
- Successfully scaled a startup from $1MM to $18MM.
- Worked at a larger organization, helping them to double revenue.
- A successful entrepreneur who built and exited a company.
The Coaching Champion: Base salary of $200K, OTE $400K.
- High bandwidth leader with a consistent track record of growing revenues for startups.
- Significantly increased average deal sizes.
- Strong coaching mentor, dedicated to helping their team achieve success.
The Hire: $260 USD base salary, $100K bonus.
- Was working in a similar space, and could bring subject matter expertise from day one.
- Strategic and tactical experience in a wide variety of functions, including running the global sales strategy, supporting direct reports, carrying a quota, involved in leading product development.
- Experience working in a combined CRO/GM role.
To attract the candidate they hired, our client offered a base salary of $220K USD, with $130K variable, extremely comprehensive benefits, and 1% equity.
As you can see, compensation for these candidates varies significantly based on the length and scope of experience, and leadership capability.
* * * * *
For organizations and job seekers alike, it can be challenging to understand what a particular position should pay. Often, it’s a calculation between salary surveys that lack all context, what a person has earned in the past, and ad hoc conversations with others in the field.
We’re sharing market insights into current compensation packages for key roles in the tech industry. Our recruiters conduct targeted searches on behalf of our clients, seeking out candidates who fit the requirements of the role, and diligently qualifying them to present only the very best talent. These posts are meant to highlight the contextual elements that make up compensation, and to help our clients and candidates better understand the current market forces that affect earning potential.
Is your organization hiring key sales talent that will drive your growth? Book a consultation with our friendly and knowledgeable team today—we live and breathe the tech talent ecosystem every day, and can help you understand the market for the talent you need.