We were recently engaged to conduct a search for a Director Product Management. Our client is a privately-held global enterprise service provider with almost 2,000 employees and $1.5B in revenue.
This product hire would be instrumental in the brand's digital transformation and modernize how they delivered value and frictionless experiences to their clients.
Our client interviewed 5 people, all of whom where hands on leaders and had championed a net-new product experience or innovation initiative:
The Youthful Leader - $180K Base + 15% Bonus + Options
- 11 years of employment experience, all in tech, and 5 years of product management experience
- Journey into product came through consulting
- Customer persona was large enterprises, business/non-technical buyers
- Had worked in a 'product culture' of a modern B2B SaaS company
- Director-level experience, hiring and managing small teams of Product Managers and Product Owners
The High Potential Leader - $150K Base + 20% Bonus + Options
- 13 of employment experience, all in tech, and 6 years of product management experience
- Journey into product came through BA and consulting roles
- Customer persona was large enterprises in traditional industries
- Less than 1 year of experience with leadership and mentorship of others
- Compelling communicator and market facing VoC Product Manager experience
The Startup Leader - $150k Base + Options
- 18 of years employment experience, pivoted into tech 8 years ago, and 7 years of product management experience
- Journey into product came through CS
- Experience standing up net-new B2B2C products
- Customer persona was large global enterprises
- Recently, the most senior PM of the organization with mentorship of others
The Experienced Leader - $155K Base + 20% Bonus
- 20 years of employment experience experience, all in tech, and was the most senior candidate we presented
- Experience leading a digital transformation for a services company
- Has 'done it all' across B2B SaaS products and stages of a business lifecycle
- Leadership experience managing teams across Product, UX and Engineering
- Market facing and expert level VoC of non technical business users
- 17 years of employment experience
- Led innovation teams within larger enterprises, whose mandate was to apply product management principals to identify opportunities through digital products that unlocked growth, customer experiences or delivered business process efficiency
- Experience as a hands on leader of small, agile product teams
- A product management thought leader and obsessive about the craft of product
- Highly focused on customer and user experience
This candidate was selected due to the significant experience they had in innovation.
To attract and land this candidate, our client offered a $165K base + 10% bonus and a $10K signing bonus.
As you can see, compensation for these candidates varies based on the length and scope of experience, as well as their ability to thrive in similar environments.
* * * * *
Is your organization building out its product team? Book a consultation with our friendly and knowledgeable team today—we live and breathe the product talent ecosystem and can help you understand the market for the talent you need.