We were recently engaged by a client to conduct a search for their first-ever Payments Product Manager. They are a B2B SaaS startup with a vendor sourcing, procurement and compliance platform for construction and project management companies.
Coming off of a successful Series A, they were looking for a Senior Product Manager who could lead the development and launch of a brand new enterprise billings and payments engine as a part of their web and mobile applications. This was a true 0 - 1 initiative.
We presented 4 candidates:
0 - 1 Specialist – $150k Base + 10% Bonus
- 5+ years of experience in Product Management, with the last 2+ years in the payments space
- Worked on multiple 0-1 initiatives at a FAANG company in the supply chain intelligence and IoT analytics space
- Chosen by the leadership of a global P2P payments platform company to spearhead the development and launch of their North American B2B payments platform
- Got an MVP to market, integrating multiple payment and billing methods from same-day ACH and cheques to alternative payments, primarily EFT and Interac. The V1.0 went live across North America and had 30+ enterprise-grade customers within 6 months of launch
The Enterprise Payments Expert - $180k Base
- 10+ years of experience in the payments space, starting as a Solutions Designer then transitioning to Product Management
- Experience working on mobile wallets and payment solutions at a Big 4
- Owned the development and launch of a Big 4 bank’s business payments and RTR initiatives across web and mobile - this portfolio brings in $50M in annual revenue
- Also has extensive experience with alternative payments (Apple/Google Pay, Interac primarily)
Global Payments Specialist - Base + Bonus totalling $210k
- 7+ years of experience in Product Management, and 5 years in the payments space
- Built a large insurance provider’s first digital wallet with Apple and Google Pay options
- Earned a reputation as a highflyer at a global payments network, where they took over the flagship online money transfer product
- Spearheaded the launch of a partnership with Mastercard across 19 countries, enterprise integrations with over 290 financial institutions worldwide, and owned the short- and mid-term roadmaps for the platform
- Worked at an enterprise communications SaaS startup, with a mandate to build a brand new Virtual Events platform
- 5+ years of experience in Product Management in the Payments/Fintech space
- Owned two separate 0-1 product launches
- The first, a mobile banking app (iOS and Android) for a national bank which included international money transfer and bill payment capabilities
- The second, at a digital banking start-up where they brought to market core digital banking and cards products as well as product managed the integrations with Real Time Rails, Visa/MasterCard, and Apple/Google Pay
- Prior to being hired, was executing on the development of a B2B payments platform and automated enterprise billing solution
To attract and land this candidate, our client offered a $150,000 base plus significant equity.
As you can see, compensation for these candidates varies significantly based on the length and scope of experience, as well as their ability to thrive in similar environments.
* * * * *
For organizations and job seekers alike, it can be challenging to understand what a particular position should pay. Often, it’s a calculation between salary surveys that lack all context, what a person has earned in the past, and ad hoc conversations with others in the field.
We’re sharing market insights into current compensation packages for key roles in the tech industry. Our recruiters conduct targeted searches on behalf of our clients, seeking out candidates who fit the requirements of the role and diligently qualifying them to present only the very best talent. These posts are meant to highlight the contextual elements that makeup compensation, and to help our clients and candidates better understand the current market forces that affect earning potential.
Is your organization hiring key c-suite executives to drive your growth? Book a consultation with our friendly and knowledgeable team today—we live and breathe the tech talent ecosystem every day, and can help you understand the market for the talent you need.