We were recently engaged to conduct a search for a Senior Product Marketing Manager. Our client is a Series-A funded, Canadian B2B SaaS vendor whose solutions are sold to large enterprises across all industries.
This search was to find their first Product Marketing hire. The role would report to the VP of Marketing and was seen as a mission-critical role for the organization.
This hire needed experience marketing a complex backend product, working on product positioning and messaging, developing and executing on a GTM strategy, and launching.
The client interviewed 4 people:
The Evolved Engineer - $130K base + bonus
- 16 years of employment experience and 4 years in Product Marketing
- Career progression from Engineer to Product Manager to Product Marketer
- Experience managing and marketing complicated backend tech products and enterprise-grade software to global clients
- Global GTM and release experience with sales enablement expertise
- Engineering Degree
The Multi-faceted Marketer - $120K base + bonus
- 10 years of employment experience and 3 years in Product Marketing
- All of this candidate's employment experience had been in the marketing function, but spanned across agencies, vendors, as well as multiple areas such as digital marketing
- Previously worked as the first and only Product Marketer for a small company
- Experience working alongside Product Managers on complicated products to identify the key value statements
- BA Degree, MBA + Pragmatic Marketing certified
The Progressive Product Professional - $130K + bonus + options
- 6 years of employment experience; 3 as a Product Manager and 3 in Product Marketing
- Multiple product experiences including, back-end Paymentech and front end business applications
- Large scale release and product launch experience
- Business Degree + Pragmatic Marketing certified
- 22 years of employment experience and 9 years in Product Marketing
- Experience as a Founder as well as working for both large global tech leaders and earlier-stage companies
- Broad product experience including, backend infrastructure and front end SaaS applications
- Product positioning, messaging, and global launch experience
- Business Degree + MBA
To attract and land this candidate, our client offered a $125K Base + 15% Bonus.
* * * * *
For organizations and job seekers alike, it can be challenging to understand what a particular position should pay. Often, it’s a calculation between salary surveys (that lack all context) and what a person has earned in the past. These posts are meant to help our readers better understand the current market forces that affect earning potential.
Looking for more market/compensation insights? Book a consultation with our friendly and knowledgeable team today.