We were recently engaged by a client to conduct a search for a Strategic Services Consultant. Our client is a global leader in cybersecurity services for enterprise organizations. They offer a full suite of security services including assessment and consulting, identity management, technology architecture and implementation, managed security services, and incident response.
We conducted a targeted search on their behalf, seeking Senior Cyber-security Architects who were Jack/Jill-of-all-trades, taking part in pre-sales architecture activities, virtual CISO assignments, and commoditizing new developments in the cyber security space. They also needed to have an eye on account growth and new sales.
We presented 4 candidates:
The Big4 Expert – CAD $300K base + 25% bonus
- 18+ years in cybersecurity consulting with the Big4
- Primarily focused on architecture and delivery; also helped to grow the practice, build teams, and hunt new clients
- Their experience had a large overlap with the services and client verticals of our client
- STEM background
The Pre-sales Expert – USD $280K on-target earnings
- 25+ years in cybersecurity and 8 years in a Senior Solutions Specialist role
- Primarily focused on the pre-sales architecture side dealing with Threat Detection, Incident Response, SIEM and SOAR solutions
- Hybrid architect and deal closer, bringing in $5M+ annual revenue from North American Healthcare, Finance and Insurance companies
- Arts degree + MBA
The Managed Services Expert – USD $210 base + commission
- 30+ years in IT and 7 years in pre-sales architecture for managed security services organizations
- Extensive experience configuring a security product and wrapping managed services and SLA’s around it
- Specialized in MDR/EDR, SIEM, IAM, and threat intelligence solutions - dealing largely with Fortune500 clientele. Prior experience in internal CISO roles
- Engineering degree
- 20+ years in cyber security with a strong focus on architecture and pre-sales activities
- Worked in vCISO roles with consulting companies and internal CISO roles at large tech companies - this gave our candidate two contrasting perspectives
- Globally focus (USA, Latin and Southern America) and covered all of client’s industry verticals
- Engineering degree
To secure our candidate, our client offered USD 200k base + bonus.
As you can see, compensation for these candidates varies based on the length and scope of experience, as well as their ability to thrive in similar environments.
* * * * *
For organizations and job seekers alike, it can be challenging to understand what a particular position should pay. Often, it’s a calculation between salary surveys that lack all context, what a person has earned in the past, and ad hoc conversations with others in the field.
We’re sharing market insights into current compensation packages for key roles in the tech industry. Our recruiters conduct targeted searches on behalf of our clients, seeking out candidates who fit the requirements of the role and diligently qualifying them to present only the very best talent. These posts are meant to highlight the contextual elements that makeup compensation, and to help our clients and candidates better understand the current market forces that affect earning potential.
Is your organization hiring key product talent that will drive your growth? Book a consultation with our friendly and knowledgeable team today—we live and breathe the tech talent ecosystem every day, and can help you understand the market for the talent you need.