A client recently engaged us to conduct a search for a VP Growth Marketing. Our client is a Vancouver-based D2C eCommerce company with a robust digital presence.
Due to solid growth in sales and an increased spend on paid social, our client was looking for their first-ever VP Growth Marketing. Their mandate was to enable scale of customer acquisition by further developing paid social strategies and the larger Google ecosystem (search & YouTube) as well as TV, audio, affiliate, programmatic and direct mail.
We presented 4 candidates:
D2C E-commerce Specialist – $175k Base + 25% Bonus
- VP Digital Marketing at a leading e-reader brand focused on driving all sales through an e-commerce portal and mobile app
- Managing a team of 15
- Owning a $15M annual budget
- Brought on to build out internal teams and capabilities as well as formalize paid social (Facebook, Pinterest, TikTok), search, and affiliate marketing strategies
- Their efforts directly led to the growth of the digital business while also cutting their CAC in half
The Big Spender - $135k Base + 20% Bonus
- Digital Marketing leader at a global e-commerce giant, leading digital strategy for a D2C entertainment brand, which previously had no paid social strategy or content
- Built out and manages an internal team of 5 as well as 3 digital agencies
- Owning a $25M annual budget split between paid search, paid social, and "traditional" marketing efforts
- An analytics-driven leader in charge of tracking site traffic & channel performance and responsible for building business cases to pitch to the executive team
D2C Start-up Expert - $150k Base + 15% Bonus
- Reporting into the CMO and responsible for performance marketing and paid media as well as the mandate to mature their D2C e-commerce brand into an omnichannel enterprise
- Managing an in-house team of 6
- Owning a $20M annual budget
- Previous experience joining a Founder to build out sales & marketing from zero to $20M for a pre-seed D2C startup
- 10+ years of experience in digital marketing, with the last 4 in leadership roles for various D2C brands
- Built out and manages an in-house team of 4 to reduce dependency on agencies
- Owning a $10M annual budget with 80% going to paid social (Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube)
- Previous experience at a fitness wearables startup, where they took over all digital marketing initiates (primarily paid social and search) from a Co-Founder
- A hands-on leader, often generating ad analytics and reports
Our client offered a $220,000 Base + Bonus to attract and land this candidate.
As you can see, compensation for these candidates varies significantly based on the length and scope of experience, as well as their ability to thrive in similar environments.
* * * * *
It can be challenging for organizations and job seekers alike to understand what a particular position should pay. Often, it's a calculation between salary surveys that lack all context, what a person has earned in the past, and ad hoc conversations with others in the field.
We're sharing market insights into current compensation packages for critical roles in the tech industry. In addition, our recruiters conduct targeted searches on behalf of our clients, seeking out candidates who fit the position's requirements and diligently qualifying them to present only the very best talent. These posts highlight the contextual elements that make up compensation and help our clients and candidates better understand the current market forces that affect earning potential.
Is your organization hiring key c-suite executives to drive your growth? Book a consultation with our friendly and knowledgeable team today—we live and breathe the tech talent ecosystem every day and can help you understand the market for the talent you need.