We were recently engaged by a client to conduct a search for a Senior Product Manager. Our client is a Series B funded Canadian B2B software vendor, which provides an integration platform for the retail industry.
Our client was looking for a Senior Product Manager with API integration experience, a background in commerce, and a highly technical background. Their product organization was going through a period of growth and transformation, and they needed a senior candidate who had a track record of successfully releasing product.
We presented a range of candidates to our client:
The Competition Cowboy: Base salary of $135K.
- Several former employers were direct competitors to our client, so this candidate had deep subject matter expertise in the space.
- Experienced in releasing new products in the market, from ideation to commercialization for enterprise clients.
- Background was more on the business/client facing side of Product Management, rather than technical.
The Diligent Director: Base salary of $125K, with a 15% variable component.
- A senior candidate with international experience as a Director of Product, and then moved back to an individual contributor role in Canada.
- Highly technical background, with an Engineering degree and a track-record of working effectively with technical teams.
- Robust API experience, but lacking in commerce experience.
The Ideation Idealist: Base salary of $155K.
- Strong background in API integrations and commerce products.
- Experienced launching highly technical products in the market, from ideation to product release.
- Experience working with a direct competitor to our client, bringing deep subject matter expertise.
The API Allstar: Base Salary of $130K, with a $10K bonus.
- Senior Product Manager with a track record of successfully releasing product.
- An API integration expert, who had worked closely with engineering teams to design solutions.
- Past work experience included startups and large companies.
The Hire: Base salary of $125K, with a variable bonus.
- Experience Senior level product manager with over 20 years of experience.
- Varied professional background which includes experience in large firms and startups, and as a manager and an individual contributor.
- Strong business acumen and technical skills.
- In-depth experience with commerce products and API integrations.
To attract the candidate they hired, our client offered a base salary of $130K, comprehensive benefits which included a personal development budget and a lifestyle/health allowance, and a competitive vacation policy.
As you can see, compensation for these candidates varies significantly based on the length and scope of experience, and leadership capability.
* * * * *
For organizations and job seekers alike, it can be challenging to understand what a particular position should pay. Often, it’s a calculation between salary surveys that lack all context, what a person has earned in the past, and ad hoc conversations with others in the field.
We’re sharing market insights into current compensation packages for key roles in the tech industry. Our recruiters conduct targeted searches on behalf of our clients, seeking out candidates who fit the requirements of the role, and diligently qualifying them to present only the very best talent. These posts are meant to highlight the contextual elements that make up compensation, and to help our clients and candidates better understand the current market forces that affect earning potential.
Are you getting ready to hire a Product Manager? We've created a free checklist to help you refine your requirements, plan the interview process, and get aligned on competitive compensation.