We were recently engaged by our client to conduct a search for a VP of Sales. Our client provides an open source solution for technical teams to increase their privacy and security standards. They have been in business for just over 5 years, and recently secured Series A funding.
This organization was looking for a VP of Sales to build and lead a sales team in a large territory. They were looking for candidates who had been a part of an organization going from Series A through to IPO, and who comfortable engaging with and selling to developers. Their ideal candidate was comfortable in a player/coach role—able to build and support the team while carrying a quota.
We presented a range of US based candidates to our client:
The Highly Technical VP: Base salary of $190K, with $380K OTE.
- Experience helping a series of early stage companies through the IPO process.
- Player/coach profile, successfully acquired top accounts and drove 200% year over year revenue growth.
- Experience growing a sales organization, bringing in pre-sales and customer success.
The All-in-one, Get-it-done VP: Base salary of $240K, with $400K OTE.
- Functionally operating at the CRO level in a high growth startup.
- Worked in a player/coach role, growing the team from 5 to 30 reps, while working hands on to close deals, remove obstacles, and lead the team.
- Strong emphasis on channel partnerships, as well as running pre-sales and customer success team.
The Lead from the Front VP: Base Salary of $200K base, $400K OTE.
- Successful experience in both large enterprise organizations and startups.
- Working on the front lines of a small company to grow the team quickly.
- Consistent track record of beating quota, running a $30MM book of business.
The Player/Coach VP: Base Salary of $190K, $380K OTE.
- Experience working in several startups from an early stage through IPO.
- Deep industry expertise in selling open source solutions.
- Consistent track record of building teams while beating quota.
To attract the candidate they hired, our client offered a base salary of $200K, with OTE of $400K, as well as an equity component.
As you can see, compensation for these candidates varies significantly based on the length and scope of experience, and leadership capability.
Are you getting ready to grow your sales team? We've created a free checklist to help you refine your requirements, plan the interview process, and get aligned on competitive compensation.
* * * * *
For organizations and job seekers alike, it can be challenging to understand what a particular position should pay. Often, it’s a calculation between salary surveys that lack all context, what a person has earned in the past, and ad hoc conversations with others in the field.
We’re sharing market insights into current compensation packages for key roles in the tech industry. Our recruiters conduct targeted searches on behalf of our clients, seeking out candidates who fit the requirements of the role, and diligently qualifying them to present only the very best talent. These posts are meant to highlight the contextual elements that make up compensation, and to help our clients and candidates better understand the current market forces that affect earning potential.Is your organization hiring key sales talent that will drive your growth? Book a consultation with our friendly and knowledgeable team today—we live and breathe the tech talent ecosystem every day, and can help you understand the market for the talent you need.